- Summarize your education and employment experience.
Be sure to focus on the aspects of your background that match the requirements of the job you are applying for and skip the things that are outdated or irrelevant.
- Describe your specific strengths and expertise.
If appropriate, convey how your skills might be applied in new or different ways or for a different type of job than you have had in the past.
- Highlight your accomplishments in previous jobs, not just your duties or responsibilities.
Everyone has job duties; it is how you approached them and what you accomplished in carrying them out that makes you stand out.
- Show progression.
Whether it is in school, leadership roles or your work, highlight how your experience has helped you grow. Mention promotions or skills you have picked up along the way.
- Highlight specific qualifications for this job.
If you are applying for a specific position, be sure to call out experience or accomplishments that make you qualified – or even more qualified than another applicant. For example, if you have worked with a particular technology the job requires or you have experience that might give you an edge, be sure to mention it.
- Talk about related extracurricular or volunteer work.
Just because you were not paid for it, it does not mean it is not important! If you have this type of experience, include it to underscore your passion for the field.
- It is ok to use more than one page.
Include all relevant experience rather than cutting things to make your resume fit on one page. That said, be sure your summaries are succinct and your most important information appears on the first page.
- Do not underestimate how important it is to keep your resume up-to-date.
Make sure your resume is current, including ensuring your contact information is correct. Be honest. Paint the best possible picture of yourself, but do not exaggerate. And proofread for typos and errors – more than once!
Tom Van Berkel explains why it's great to be a Main Street America employee
- Search Job Openings
- Submit an Application
- Update Your Online Profile
E-mails will be answered in a timely manner.
- Founded in 1923
- Structure: Private-Mutual Holding Company
- Headquartered in Jacksonville, Fla.
- Approximately 1,000 employees
- Core Values: Ownership, Relationships and Service